20.7.2014 | 22:04
Emergency Tips For Atlanta Water Damage
Water damage has become quite common these days. The number of floods and natural disasters is on a rise. In fact, there is fire damage, broken and leaking pipes, clogged draining and even malfunctioning appliances of the home that cause significant water damage to you. You might not believe this any malfunctioning appliance in your house can cause a lot of water damage to your property by the time you get back home from office. This may mean that water damage can be faced by anyone and at any time. However, in order to get rid of this damage, you will have to follow certain steps like extraction, mold testing etc. The prospects of restoration from water damage come later. In the beginning, when you see water damage in your house, you have to follow certain emergency steps in order to make sure that you don’t suffer too much damage. Here are some of the do’s and don’ts that you will have to follow as soon as you find water damage in your house.
What to do
- Find the main electrical switch in your house. Go ahead and make sure that you are switching off all the electrical switches in the house. When you cut off the main supply, make sure that you unplug everything as well. It shall help you a lot in staying safe in water. Otherwise, an electrical shock may be inevitable.
- Ventilate the entire house. Make sure that you are opting for natural drying. If the water damage is not much and there is only the flooring that has been submerged in water to a small extent, you don’t need to turn the power off. Just turn on the cooling system of your home in the summers and heating system in the winters.
- If there is standing water on the floors or any other flat surfaces, you should be using blotting and sponging in order to get rid of the water. In case water has reached your basement and it is completely submerged, do not enter. Leave it as it is and come back with professional help.
What not to do
- Do not operate any electrical appliances if the home is still wet. It will always be better to get rid of standing water and wetness by opening up windows before operating anything.
- Do not leave wet fabrics anywhere. Get them out in the sun and make them dry. Leaving them somewhere will result in mold overgrowth.